I saw a product on Max Upgrades that I really like. It is a combination of mounting hardware, power and data cables, and a SATA PCI card that lets you add three additional internal SATA drives to your G5 Macintosh. The PCI card gives each drive it’s own high-speed data channel.
This was sent to me by a friend from the office.
How it was supposed to work..
I am sending this out today to dispel the myths and false judgements concerning last week’s tragedy. I hope it helps most people understand how our government is supposed to work!
The Way it Really Is:
The chain of responsibility for the protection of the citizens in New Orleans is:
- The Mayor
- The New Orleans director of Homeland Security (a political appointee of the Governor – who reports TO the Governor)
- The Governor
- The Head of Homeland Security
- The President
What did each do?
- The mayor, with 5 days advance, waited until 2 days before he announced a mandatory evacuation (at the behest of the President). Then he failed to provide transportation for those without transport even though he had hundreds of buses at his disposal.
- The New Orleans director of Homeland Security failed to have any plan for a contingency that has been talked about for 50 years. Then he blames the Feds for not doing what he should have done. (So much for political appointees)
- The Governor (despite a declaration of disaster by the President 2 DAYS BEFORE the storm hit) failed to take advantage of the offer of Federal troops and aid offered by our President – until 2 DAYS AFTER the storm hit.
- The Director of Homeland Security positioned assets in the area to be ready when the Governor called for them. At one point, the Red Cross had a truck full of food, water and supplies ready to go into the worst areas of New Orleans but the Governor turned it back.
- The President urged a mandatory evacuation, and even declared a DISASTER STATE of EMERGENCY, freeing up millions of dollars of federal assistance, should the Governor decide to use it.
Oh and by the way, the levees that broke were the responsibility of the local landowners and the local levee board to maintain, NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
The disaster in New Orleans is what you get after decades of corrupt government going all the way back to Huey Long in the 1960′s.
FUNDS for disaster protection and relief have been flowing into this city for decades, and where has it gone but into the pockets of the politicos and their friends.
Decades of socialist government in New Orleans has sapped all self reliance from the community, and made them dependent upon Political Correctness and a lack of will to fight crime have created the single most corrupt police force in the country, and has permitted white-collar crime and gang violence to flourish. Having been to New Orleans, I can attest to the hell hole it was for crime. Just think about what goes on during Mardi Gras…
The sad thing is that there are many poor folks who have suffered and died needlessly because those that they voted into office failed them.
For those who missed item 5 above (where the President’s level of accountability is discussed), it is made more clear in a New Orleans Times-Picayune article dated August 28th: NEW ORLEANS (AP) – In the face of a catastrophic Hurricane Katrina, a mandatory evacuation was ordered Sunday for New Orleans by Mayor Ray Nagin. Acknowledging that large numbers of people, many of them stranded tourists, would be unable to leave, the city set up 10 places of last resort for people to go, including the Superdome.
The mayor called the order unprecedented and said anyone who could leave the city should. He exempted hotels from the evacuation order because airlines had already cancelled all flights. Gov. Kathleen Blanco, standing beside the mayor at a news conference, said President Bush called and personally appealed for a mandatory evacuation for the low-lying city, which is prone to flooding.
The ball was placed in Mayor Nagin’s court to carry out the evacuation order. With a 5-day heads-up, he had the authority to use any and all services to evacuate all residents from the city, as documented in a city emergency preparedness plan. By waiting until the last minute, and failing to make full use of resources available within city limits, Nagin and his administration messed up BIG TIME.
Mayor Nagin and his emergency sidekick Terry Ebbert have displayed lethal, mind boggling incompetence before, during and after Katrina. As for Mayor Nagin, he and his profile in leadership police chief should resign as well. That city’s government is incompetent from one end to the other.
The people of New Orleans deserve better than this crowd is capable of giving them.
If you’re keeping track with the news, these government officials also let 569 school buses that could have carried 33,350 people out of New Orleans in ONE TRIP get ruined in the floods (see photo below)- these buses have become visible as the water level subsides, just a mile or so from where the poorest citizens of New Orleans lived.